Sunday, March 17, 2013

We Help Each Other



 Since we've been here it has always been that even as much as I have to do, Glen always has more to do and I have helped him do his work as much as I can.  Things changed this week: I was absolutely swamped with not only getting notebooks and files and transfer board cards made for the new missionaries, but also with travel arrangements for about 18 missionaries.  Glen had to wait this past week to work as much on new housing because he has to see how many member homes will be committed to.  So he helped me with my work several times this past week, which really eased my burden!  It reduced my stress so much and I really appreciated it.  I wished I would have taken a picture of him helping me put the travel documents together--one set for President Black, one set for the missionary, one set for the parents, and one set for me, as well as helping with the mail and my notebooks.  He understood better the nature of how important accuracy is in my work!

A funny thing happened that didn't start out being funny.  Church Travel Services emailed me and asked me to submit the travel for everyone going home by July 1 because of all the travel arrangements that they have to make for the new mission presidents.  I decided to submit all the travel until July 9 when we go home.  When missionaries drive home (or their parents pick them up and they drive home) I still must submit their travel to the Church, and there were about 8 missionaries (including all of the seniors) that fell into this category.  Imagine my shock and dismay when the Church sent me the itinerary from Delta Airlines of Glen and my flights on July 9!  My first thought was, "Did I send in our information incorrectly?"  My second thought was, "I know I triple checked it, and I did tell them that we were driving home!"

I called her (the same person is over our mission and I have talked to her on the phone many times) and said, "Did I just see a flight for Elder McMillan and me?  I don't want to have a nervous breakdown!"  The flights are non-cancellable and I didn't want the Church to be responsible for paying for this flight that we would NOT be taking!  Polly said, "Oh my goodness, I had an assistant helping me and she put this flight in.  No, you are not responsible for this flight."  She felt so bad, and I was more than relieved that my nervous breakdown had been averted.  Submitting information for  flights is for sure the scariest part of my job--what if I ordered a flight that sent the missionary to Alberta instead of Alaska?  It's so so scary.

Anyway, as usual, we had a busy busy week and we are always so grateful for the opportunities we have to rest and recreate.  Here are some things we did this week:






On Sunday afternoon we had dinner with the Chapmans and their other guests, including Elder Findlay and Elder West.  We sure love these dinners!






After dinner we went to the magnificent Smith Center where Zion's Youth Chorus and Symphony were  performing.  We had invited the Chapmans to go with us and it was the most amazing concert--simply beautiful.  It is done by the youth of Las Vegas, both the chorus and the symphony and there were also two guest artists who sang and narrated, very much like many of the Tabernacle Choir concerts.  It was done so professionally and beautifully and the standing ovation for the youth lasted for several minutes.  Many of our missionaries were there ushering and it was so fun to see them.  I was so sad I didn't get a picture with them!







Monday night I decided to make some St. Patrick's Day treats for the zone leaders who came in on Tuesday, so this was what I made--cookies with mint chocolate chip ice cream in between.  This picture shows the ice cream oozing out, but they were still good!  It was fun to be able to give them a treat, because as I told them, we are MCMILLANS so we celebrate St. Patrick's Day!





Elder Conder even made this St. Patrick's Day card with us in it--so cute!

On Tuesday night I went to our Relief Society birthday party and had such an amazing dinner.  It was so fun to be with the sisters in our ward.  Deb, the new convert, was there, and I was so excited!  She is really going to be a strong member of the church.  There were two other women there who were not members--pretty cool.






On Wednesday night we went to the temple and had dinner again before the session.  We love that they give us our dinner for the missionary rate--$3.00!  

On Thursday night we had girls night out at Sis. Macdonald's and our new sister missionary's apartment, Sis. Clark.  We had a yummy dinner and so much fun together!  I love this after a long exhausting day. 






On Friday we went to Lake Las Vegas, which is east of Henderson.  We went because we saw a groupon for such a good deal and to celebrate my birthday.  It was a beautiful Italian resort, and wow, was it awesome!  We ate Friday night at a French restaurant and had the best quiche we have ever had in our lives!





The front of the Ravella where we stayed.  We couldn't believe that we lucked out so well for the weather!  It was a BEAUTIFUL weekend!






The gardens outside of our room. 


It was warm enough that we rented a kayak and went out on Lake Las Vegas!  It was SO much fun!    Lake Las Vegas is a reservoir and even though it is out in the desert it was in a beautiful spot.  What a glorious day we had!  





There were only two boats like this parked at the marina--and check out the name of this one!
We were so grateful for the opportunity to go and have a little recreation and get refreshed.  And so grateful for the opportunity to serve a mission here.  What an unbelievable time to be serving a mission!



3 comments:

  1. Glad Dad and the church staff were able to help you avoid a mental breakdown. Looks like a great time at the resort at Lake Las Vegas. So, are you going to drive home the ES300 or the RX300?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice weekend! That place is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine your stress at having to do so much for all the missionaries, and being worried you'd mix something up. Heck, I couldn't even keep two missionaries straight. Gah. I'm still embarrassed about that. Glad Dad could help you out and that Polly was so nice. That resort looked amazing and I am utterly jealous that you got to eat at such a good French restaurant. What a nice b-day treat. Well, we love you lots and I'm glad you had such a great b-day.

    ReplyDelete